Tuesday, August 19, 2008

F7 - The Formula For Good Spelling


Lexophiles are people who love words and I do not consider myself one of them.

I find spelling a chore and I must admit that it is not my favorite pastime. Somehow, all the English teachers seemed to think that spelling is a necessary evil and mine too nourished me with loads of spelling tests. I abhorred those times especially when the teachers returned me with the scripts, generously slashed and crossed.

OK, fine. I can't spell and so what?? When my teachers fed me with the weekly spelling list, they thought they were preparing me for a lifelong skill. Little did they know that I am blessed with wizards such are spellcheck decades later.

Today, I still can't spell but I am an avid Scrabble player. Ironical? Not really.
Scrabble was invented by an architect (I thought architects can't spell, too?) and has gained popularity since the 1950s. If you equate the game with spelling skills and the love for vocabulary, I'm afraid you have thought rather highly of Scrabble players. ~ flattered ~
Parkorn Nemitrmansuk is one of the top ranking Scrabble players in the international arena and he is from Thailand. Coincidentally, he has his day job as an architect, too.
Can you arrive at some logical deduction here?
Firstly, English need not be your native tongue. Secondly, you only need to be creative, logical and structured, just like the architects.
So, you think your command of English is less than desirable? May be you are right, I don't know. I am not an English teacher and I can't comment on that. One thing I am certain - you can play Scrabble. Everyone can play Scrabble, including one who has a defective gene for spelling.
The next time you need help on spelling, just push the F7 button.

“Sometimes you can't look up the correct spelling of a word in the dictionary because you don't know how to spell it”

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: