Monday, September 29, 2008

Strangers In The Air

I hate long hauls.

Fortunately, I do not need to fly frequently. Each time, the thought of being confined into a seat for hours kind of dampen the excitement of traveling, if any. If only I can afford the business class and have a more humane reception on board, flying would not be such an abhorrent thing to do.

Well, until then, I will always have to take this question: what is the best thing to do on board so as to take your mind off the agony?


Sleeping is not always an option especially if you are planning to tune your bio-clock to come to an agreement with the local time. Other than snoozing, I supposed I can do a few other things.


Top on my list is watching movies. Whoever came up with this idea was a genius! A long time ago, movies were screened on a shared screen and you had no control over what and when you wanted to watch. Today, most commercial flights have individual in-flight entertainment units. We can play the movie anytime we want and the choices are aplenty. Spending a few hours catching up with those 'I've-always-wanted-to-watch' titles is worthwhile. I have watched as many as five movies in a row. Total satisfaction!


Next on my list ...Err, I actually have nothing else on my so-called list. Other than sleeping and movies, I have nothing else to do between meals (not counting the loo visits, of course).


I would love to surf the net but it is not a common option. Even if it is, I probably won't find it in the economy class.




Playing electronic games on board is a big NO and reading makes me drowsy.


Would I want to talk on a mobile phone or texting someone I already miss? Nay! Not really! Enough of mobile phone.

In fact, a recent survey suggested that most travelers opposed to the use of mobile phones on airplanes. The respondents felt that 'the idea of listening to all those conversations in a confined space is too much for most people.'


Interestingly, the survey revealed that most would not mind striking up a chat with their seatmates. Filipinos and Malaysians were the most likely to chat up their neighbours, while Thais, Taiwanese and Hong Kongers were the least likely.

It is a pity that Singapore was not chosen as a respondent country in this survey. I am curious to know how Singaporeans will respond to the idea of chatting up with their neighbours while on board.


Come to think of it, it might be a good idea to have a chat with the person next to you. I would imagine that chatting is more tolerable than hearing him/her snore for hours!


Yes! Personally, I would strike a conversation with that stranger next to me. Would you?



Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: