Thursday, September 18, 2008

Be Sporty And Stay Alive!



I wrote about F1 on 7 Sep and I didn't think I would write another. OK, may be just one more. Afterall, we are just a week away from the much anticipated event. I am sure some of you must be looking forward to feel the 'vrooming' thrill although I am not quite stirred.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against the sports or event. I just do not want to show any pseudo enthusiasm in any way.

First of all, I know next to nothing about car-racing. Secondly, I admit that I am bias against extreme sports, which to me, often blur the line between deadly stunts and sports.

Formula One (F1) is the highest class of open-wheeled auto racing defined by the FIA (Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile). The 'Formula' here refers to a set of rules for the racers to observe. In each season, a series of races, known as Grands Prix will be held and the annual World Championship will be determined based on combined results.

Typically, the F1 racers can go well above 200 km/hr. Considering the light-zipping speed, there were comparatively few fatalities in the history of F1 Race. However, that won't change my opinion that it is an extreme sport (I told you I am bias !)

To be fair, F1 Racing is not the only extreme sport. Here are two other examples which I am still taking some time to 'appreciate' because they are kind of... weird !


Bull Running: This 'sport' is quite simple and all you have to do is run and run really fast. A number of fighting bulls will be let loose onto the streets and the runners would dash in front of these raging animals. The whole idea is to stay close enough to feel the breath of the bulls behind their backs and yet avoid being gored by the sharp horns. If you are prepared to risk serious injuries or fatality, book your next holiday to Pamplona, Spain from 7th-14th July. During the 7 days of bull running you will be guaranteed of the most intense excitement and an unforgettable holiday (if you live to tell it).


Cheese Rolling - The Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling and Wake is an annual event held at Cooper's Hill, England. Every year, people from over the world take part in this strange and dangerous sport. The rules of the game are simple: you show up, you chase cheese off a cliff, you tumble for a couple hundred meters, then you go to either the pub or the local hospital. If you are game for it, the next one will be held on 25th May 2009. How to enter the race? Simple ! Just be there! Check out the official site.

Some of the more 'innocent' looking sports have also been listed as top 10 most dangerous sports in the world. For example, cheerleading and fishing!


Cheerleading: Don't start to imagine some short-skirt high school girls doing the 'Shake Your Bon Bon' moves with glittering pompoms in their hands. Cheerleading as an extreme sport involves a group of girls twirling themselves in mid air and piling on top of each other in stunt-like positions. Accidents leading to broken legs and spinal injuries are common and numerous. In USA, 2/3 of injuries in schools are from this dangerous but otherwise, glamorous sport.


Fishing: It is puzzling how this sedate pastime can find itself in the top 10 list. We are not talking about the usual angling by the pond, of course. Rock fishing, in particular, has been listed as one of the most dangerous sports due to the number of people who drown every year. It involves casting a line into the ocean from the shoreline and it can be notoriously dangerous as people are dragged under by huge unexpected waves. See this video if you can't visualise the danger.

You may have read my earlier post on Frenchman Alain Robert aka Spiderman, who scales tall buildings. That's another example of extreme sport.

I am not a sportsperson and the only 'sport' I do competitively is Scrabble . I believe no one has ever died playing that game and I shall just stick to it.

Take care!

----------------------------------------

Other F1 Stories:

What Is The Vroom All About?

No Vroom For Error

Night GP: A Novelty Or Necessity?

Yay! I Won A Broom!



Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: