Monday, September 19, 2011

Picture Blog #22: Dalí - Mind of a Genius

'Dance of Time II', at the entrance of the Museum. [Pic]

A genius is in town but not for too long.

"Dalí: Mind of a Genius – The Exhibition" opens at the Marina Bay Sands ArtScience Museum, Singapore, on 14 May 2011. You have up to 30 Oct 2011 if you have yet to catch it.

Dalí: Mind of a Genius Exhibition,
14 May 11 - 30 Oct 11

Source: Marina Bay Sands
The Spanish artist, whose full name is Salvador Domènec Felip Jacint Dalí i Domènech, Marquis de Púbol is usually just known as Salvador Dalí (thank goodness). He was born in Spain in 1904 and died at the age of 84 in 1989. During his life time, his creations spanned across various media. His field is expansive covering paintings, sculptures, photography, films, writings and even furniture designs.

To a lay person like me, Dali appears to be an eccentric artist. To others who have since admired his ingenious works, he is well regarded as a surrealist. Very briefly, a surrealist is an artist who is a member of the surrealism movement. I know that does not really explain very much. After all, I have to respect that a surrealist is surreal and it is not something I can grapple with easily.

The Persistence of Memory, 1931 (Source: Wikipedia)

Dali's most famous piece of work has to be "The Persistence of Memory" painted in 1931. The painting consists a surreal images of melting pocket watches which seem to straddle into the fourth dimension of time. This recognizable piece of artwork leaves you with limitless room for interpretation.

At the exhibition, be prepared to lose your mind in the imagination of Dali. There are three themes, bringing you through 'Femininity and Sensuality', 'Religion and Mythology', and 'Dreams and Fantasy'.

ArtScience Museum, Marina Bay Sands [Pic]

I did enjoy myself immersing in more than 250 pieces of his striking artworks. I would not say I understood or appreciated every single piece I saw. However, I was temporarily transcended into a surreal world which was most refreshing and intriguing. 

I tried to go into the mind of Dali and wondered if he was sane. After all, he once said that:
"There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.” 
However, he seemed to have contradicted himself when he said:
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad."
Only he knew better, or did he?


Snail and the Angel [Pic]
 
Dali's Paintings [Pic]

The Mae West Lips Sofa [Pic]

Spellbound [Pic]

Image of Dali on a smoke screen [Pic]



Ticketing Information

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ~Salvador Dali~


Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: